Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Roasted Garden Vegetable Soup

Today, a fellow blogger posted on my other blog about eggplant soup. Looking over to my kitchen counter, what do I see but a lovely eggplant? I decide then and there, that I, too would be making eggplant soup today!

I realized that not only did I have the one largish eggplant needing to be used up, but I also have a table full of ripe tomatoes, and a few tiny, lonely red bell peppers from the garden. So, instead of the eggplant winning the starring role in my soup, I decided to throw them all together, with an onion (well, of course) and some garlic (duh!).

Ok, here we go:

1 eggplant, sliced in half lengthwise
3-4 tomatoes, halved
1 onion, halved
1 red bell pepper, halved & scraped out
1 32. oz. box of chicken broth (or 4 cups homemade)
1/2 tsp. fennel seed
1/2 tsp. oregano
Olive Oil
Minced garlic
Half & Half or cream (optional)

To begin, take the vegetables that have been halved, and coat lightly in olive oil. Place on baking sheet and put in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. I timed it, and it took me four minutes to complete this step. Easyness, people!

When they're done roasting, put all the veggies in your soup pot with the chicken broth, fennel, oregano and garlic. You'll notice I didn't put an amount on the garlic. If I'd had fresh garlic on hand, I would've roasted it with the other veggies - at least 4 cloves. But I didn't, so I used a scant TBS of minced. I REALLY like garlic. You could use less.

Cook until everything is heated well and onions are really soft. Take it off eat and either blend it in the blender, or do what I do and use a hand blender. Incidentally, if you don't have one of these, and you make soups, it's worth the 20 bucks to own one.

When it's all blended and back in the pot, drizzle some half-n-half or heavy cream in, for a little added richness. It's totally optional, but I personally think it's worth it!

Serve topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Emily - delish! Sort of a Ratatoullie (or however you spell it) soup! I've got a couple ep's in my garden that'll be ready soon. Betcha it would work with grilled veggies, right?
Thanks for your ever-present cooking inspiration :) And I am going to buy my hand blender. Can you believe I don't own one???
smooch! "Jilly-pop"

Em said...

Jill, I can *not* believe YOU don't own a hand blender! I so, so, so love mine!

Your comment also reminded me that I meant to mention that zucchini would also be YUMMY in this, but I'm out!

Leslie Franklin said...

Where is our picture? You know you spoiled us in the past with pics? I miss your recipes. I have this great new kitchen in our new parsonage, and I need some new recipes..ha