Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Brownies

For years, literally, I've been hunting the perfect brownie recipe. Seems that every time I try one, it's more cakey than the goo I'm looking for! Meanwhile, Mark's dad is forever bringing over the yummy, gooey ones from a box mix, which only serves to antagonize me more!

So a few weeks ago, my friend Roan posted a recipe for Chocolate Chip Brownies on her blog. Of course I had to try them right away. I knew, based on the ingredient list, that they would be scrumptious. And they were!

But they were more of a "blondie" than a brownie. I wanted that texture, that consistency, but in an all chocolate brownie. So what did I do? I simply added cocoa to the recipe, and finally, FINALLY, achieved the perfect brownie. We've made them over and over since then. Mark has come to expect them on weekends!

One of the best things about this recipe is that it's SUPER easy. You can actually memorize the recipe after a few times of making it!

  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 box brown sugar (2 1/4 cups)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 12 oz. (1 full bag) Semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream together butter, brown sugar, eggs & vanilla. Mix in flour & cocoa powder till combined well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for approximately 35 minutes, or until set in the center.

ENJOY!
Em

9 comments:

Emily said...

Do you just bake them at 350?

Em said...

Emily, thanks for the question! It made me go back and read my post, in which I totally forgot to put baking temp!

Yes, just cook @ 350!

Sorry about that!

Emily said...

I tried these brownies out- they are FABULOUS. Awesome recipe.

Anonymous said...

I don't have cocoa mix but I want to try this...I'm gonna sub Nesquik; haha I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

If I want them to be more of a blonde brownie, do I just leave out the cocoa?

Courtney

Allie Bruski said...

I got to taste these handmade by Emily. Delicious!!!! Thank you Emily! And I love the picture :) I am making some today with the kids I babysit for.

Oh, for those who don't have self-rising flour, "if the recipe calls for 1 cup of self-rising flour,you can use 1 cup of all-purpose flour and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of table salt."
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/life/columns/article_1367456.php

Nathalie said...

Thank you so much, I am baking these tonight and I'm going to use mint chocolate chips instead of regular, for a Christmas treat!

Lucille said...

These looked great. I do like cakier brownies so added 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1/2 tsp. salt + used Ghiradelli bitter sweet baking chips & 1 cup walnuts. Scrumptious! Thanks, Emily!

Kendra Thomae said...

I've tried this recipe several times and absolutely LOVE these brownies. Hands down, the best homemade brownies I've ever attempted. Here's my problem, though, I have a really hard time judging when they are done. What do you mean the middle should be set? I end up having yummy fudgy brownies in the middle and hard, almost inedible edges. What can I do to amend this issue?