Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oven Pancakes

My Northern friend Jill made a comment recently about oven pancakes. Of course I had to ask her what and how! As it turns out, this may be the easiest thing I've ever prepared, next to boiling water!

The result was so pretty and delicious! My kids all said, "This is waaay better than 'real' pancakes!" And how much easier than standing and pouring and flipping! So...on to the recipe...

  • 4 eggs
  • 4 TBS butter
  • 1 cup flour (I used 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat)
  • 1 cup milk
Set oven to 400 degrees. Place butter in a 9x13 GLASS dish, and place in oven to melt while oven heats. Beat eggs slightly, then add in milk and flour. When butter is melted and oven is ready, pour batter into the dish on top of butter and bake for about 20 minutes.

You'll know it's done when it's puffy and golden brown. Cut into slices and serve with berries, fruit, powdered sugar, maple syrup, jam, etc...



See, told you it was easy! The pancake puffs so beautifully, that if you were so inclined, you could be all fancy schmancy with it, dust it with powdered sugar, throw on some fresh blueberries...you get the picture. (Speaking of pictures, I tried to take one, but batteries were down. I'll catch it next time.)

The Burleson clan just smothered our pieces in maple syrup and ate it with sausage on the side!
I may seriously never make 'real' pancakes again!

Enjoy,
Em

6 comments:

Youthful One said...

We call these German pancakes.
My mom calls them Puff pancakes.

I have such a large family, we go through 18 eggs each time I make these - 9 eggs in each 11x14 pan.

They ARE easy. We love them!
And they are also very yummy with homemade apple pie filling on top. :)

Oh! Here's another (much less healthy), VERY yummy alternative: substitute egg nog for your milk sometime in this recipe. The results for us are not only a bit richer and yummier, but also a bit thicker/denser and fluffier. Because they are a bit sweeter, they don't take as much syrup. :-)

Kimberly D. said...

We call these Dutch Babies, lol. Aren't they great??? It sure is faster than standing there flipping pancakes! And ditto to the eggnog; I've done that before and it's so good!

Anita said...

Hi Emily,

We make these from Beverly Lewis' Amish Cookbook. I love to top them with sweetened cream cheese and pureed blueberries or strawberries....majorly delicious!

Tiffany said...

I serve them with cooked apples and cinnamon sometimes, in an effort to copy a pancake place in these here parts. Similar recipe. I will have to compare yours and see if it is different. Yummo.

Kitchen said...

great article........


stove parts

javieth said...

when i bought my house throught costa rica homes for sale i wanted a great kitchen with a big space to put a big oven. Now i can baking every kind of cakes in there.